Monday, March 12, 2007

Bluffton University Tragedy

I was drinking coffee on the Friday morning when it happened and I heard that a bus carrying the Bluffton University baseball team had been in a horrible accident in Atlanta. I jolted up. One of the kids from my old church in Ohio was on the Bluffton baseball team. I called my old church and found out that Brandon was okay. I watched the CNN special on the accident and found out that Brandon was the one who called 911 and he, as well as his parents, were interviewed for the piece.

It was and is a stark reminder of the fact that when these tragedies take place there are people who know the people in the midst of the tragedy. Buses and planes and automobiles, are filled with people who are known and loved by others. Often, on the news, we see the story, we learn about the facts, but we often don't feel the impact of the event. This time, I did, and wow.

1 comment:

Coop said...

Same here John. My cousin plays for the womens softball team. When the report first hit the airways it was announced that it was a sports team from Bluffton University. Sure makes you think!!
Gretchen lost two friends in the crash.