Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Whatever Happened to "Breaking Away"

I was still living in New Jersey, attending the seminary, when I saw the movie "Breaking Away." It was a delightful movie about a young man living in Bloomington, the cutters, IU, and the great bicycle race. It was a great little movie that was nominated for best picture.

Whatever happened to movies like "Breaking Away." I was watching the Oscars the other night and I was thinking that these were a bunch of movies I do not want to see. Greed and murder and despicable human actions seemed to be the most popular things. The movie "Juno," the only one of the pictures nominated for Best Picture was the only one I saw and the only movie I wanted to see. Something unique about Juno was that it actually had interesting dialogue and was both funny and moving at the same time.

The other movies were not movies I wanted to see.

I loved "August Rush" which was corny and predictable and a joy. "Enchanted" was so incredibly clever. Why I want to see a movie entitled, "There Will be Blood," just eludes me. "No Country for Old Man," from what I gathered, is about a serial killer who blows people's brains out with an air compressor. Joy.

At least they are making another James Bond movie...

No comments: