Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lent from Clueless Christian

I’ve never known much to do about Lent. I know this sounds crazy since I am a member of the clergy and all that wonderful stuff, but Lent has always befuddled me. I’m something of a clueless Christian at Lent.

Lent is based upon the Bible telling us that Jesus spent 40 days and nights in fasting and prayer in the desert before beginning his earthly ministry. We are invited, as Christians, to do likewise. We are challenged to, in some way, make a time of sacrifice and reflection during the Lenten Season.

Some folks give things up for Lent. Preferably the ‘giving up’ is based on giving up something we like. Many people give up soda, or ice cream, or chocolate. Rarely does it seem that people give up things like brussels sprouts with some sense they are making a sacrifice. At least that’s what everyone tells me when I say that I’m giving up brussels sprouts.

I’ve often wondered if this ‘giving something up’ is a good idea. Actually, in all honesty, I have resisted it. I’ve always thought it was more important to take something else on. The problem often occurs, however, that I never get around to adding anything and I never give anything up and so Lent ends up being relatively hollow.

So this year, I’m thinking it’s a good year to give something up. I’m still thinking about what it is. It has to be something significant, but something I can truly live without. The thought process is hard at work. I shall not allow Lent to get past me this year.

Conversely, there are things to take on. I’ve decided to challenge myself doing a sermon series on pondering unanswerable questions. If people come to these looking for answers, I’ll be pretty clear. They are unanswerable questions. They really are. Lent also seems to be a good time to get off my hindquarters and get myself into some sort of shape. Even bad shape would be an improvement att his point.

One thing to note. If you’re one of those people who wrestles and struggles with Lent, please know you’re not alone. Even the ‘pros’ do!

No comments: