Saturday, January 12, 2013

Journey Beginnings

If you are reading this on a Facebook link that happens to be as my Facebook and blog are linked.  I think.   In any case, if you are reading this on Facebook I have not broken my ‘Facebook fast,’ I’m merely blogging.

I am at a point of journey beginnings.  I am beginning my Sabbatical in March and it will be 12 weeks plus two weeks vacation.  During the Sabbatical a significant portion of the time will be pondering, reading about, experiencing, and living hospitality and spirituality.  I am not doing this in the abstract, either.  I’m actually going to be immersing myself in Benedictine traditions.  Benedictine monks are some of the most famous or common monks in existence.  They live and work in monasteries and in some affiliated ministries associated with their monasteries.

Different Roman Catholic religious orders are noted for different things.  Jesuits and Dominicans are often scholars. Franciscans are amazing at pastoral caring and preaching the good in Good News.  Benedictines are very much noted for spirituality and Worship.  They Worship multiple times every time with the Liturgy of the Hours.  It is not so much about theological teachings or positions, or anything like that.  They have developed amazing chants and experiencing these Worship moments is very moving.

They also practice hospitality.  Benedictine monasteries (and Trappist monasteries which also follow the rule of St. Benedict) all generally have guest houses and guest rooms for people to stay in.  You are housed and fed and it’s usually very comfortable.  It is not staying at the Ritz, but it’s very comfortable and one is well taken care of.

One thing I appreciate about their charism of hospitality is they leave you alone.  One is invited to participate in everything, but required nothing.  No matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome into their monasteries.  Amazing people.

I feel I have much to learn from them.  I have been working on praying the Liturgy of the Hours myself every day and re-immersing myself in praying Psalms.

For now I will remain on Facebook from Sunday – Thursday, but take Fridays and Saturdays off.  I will be completely off when I am on Sabbatical.  To be honest, I love Facebook and with withdrawal has been difficult.  I found myself clicking the app on my phone and the link on my computer a lot yesterday.  Thankfully, I had logged out so I couldn’t get back in without logging in.  I’m realizing first steps on a journey are always the most difficult steps to take.  But they generally lead to better things.

No comments: