Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Grown Ups Returned

As I watched the results in New Hampshire I came to the conclusion that the grown ups returned. Hillary Clinton and John McCain are actually two people who have a clue. Interestingly enough, they are voices of moderation amongst the looney tunes.

One could not have been very pleased with Mike Huckabee's win in Iowa if one is truly serious. He seems to be a very nice person and does appear to be very sincere. The problem is, from a substance point of view here is what I know. He's anti-abortion, anti-gay, and pro-Christmas. I do like to think that the average American is looking for more.

John McCain, it seems to me, actually has a world view. Whether one agrees or disagrees with him, he's a serious man who ought to be taken seriously.

One could not have been pleased with Barack Obama's win in Iowa if one is truly serious. He is very charismatic and can really work the crowd. He provides a lot of sizzle.

The thing is Hillary doesn't provide sizzle, she provides substance. Like McCain, whether one agrees or disagrees with her, she is a serious woman who ought to be taken seriously.

I can't help but thinking that the people of New Hampshire reminded people of something. Huckabee's a nice guy and Obama provides sizzle. But it's time for the grown ups to step up.

They did.

1 comment:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

And the grown ups chose two of the most insincere, calculating, self-contradicting politicians on the national stage.

I think I'll stay a kid.