Sunday, June 22, 2008

Downtown Vandalism...

I'm really annoyed and angry. St. Marks has been a victim, twice, of downtown vandalism.

Our Sanctuary building was built in the late 1950's and we had copper rain spouts. Notice the use of the word 'had.' We HAD copper downspouts. Early last week they were all stolen from the alley side of the building. Last night they finished the job on the Bank Street side. Copper, I know, is valuable and obviously what will be going back up will not be copper.

Some things to bother me.

If people are hungry we feed them. If people need clothing, we have given it to them. We have given away a ton of blankets this year. I like to think that St. Marks is good to and good for downtown New Albany. We are genuinely trying to do as much as we can for people.

I'm really angry that the church was vandalized. How can people live, work, or worship downtown if they need to endure vandalism, theft, and destruction?

I don't have a solution, I'm just ranting at the moment. If anyone sees some long copper downspouts please call NAPD and let them know.

1 comment:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

Thieves busted up the outdoor HVAC systems at the Carnegie Center recently to remove the small bit of copper they contained.

$50 worth of scrap copper led to thousands of dollars of repairs, just across the street. A fence is forthcoming.