Sunday, April 07, 2013

Sabbatical Journey

The ‘journey’ portion of my Sabbatical is in full throttle.  I flew into Denver on Friday.  I connected with Alyson Spiess and her little boy Baraka.  I taught Alyson in high school in the early 1980’s and haven’t seen her in 30 years. It was great catching up.  She gave me a whirlwind tour of Denver on Saturday and today we went up into the mountains.  She and her son went skiing and I hung out at the lodge and did some major reading and then spent time in a heated pool that was both inside and out.  This was at the base of a skiing mountain so one could be in the pool, outdoors, and watch the skiers right in front of you.IMG_0130

The picture I posted is  the view from the pool.

The Rocky Mountains are amazing.  No pictures can capture how incredible they are.  Just being there was a spiritual experience, in and of itself.

One thing I learned, and wow, it is a hard lesson not to learn.  The air is thin and it makes a difference.  Denver is ‘mile high’ and it is easy to get winded.  Heck, it’s easy for me to get winded ordinarily.  Going up into the mountains, and Alyson said we were up 10,000 feet, the air is amazingly thin.  I shall sleep well tonight.

IMG_0105

The above photo is one of Alyson and me in front of Mile High Stadium in Denver.  It is the home of the Denver Broncos who were crushed by the New York Giants in the 1986 Super Bowl by a score of 39-20.  It is really just next to the downtown and is very different from what I expected.

Tomorrow I begin the trek to Abiquiu, New Mexico.  After a night at the Abiquiu Inn I shall be spending 5 days at Christ in the Desert Monastery.  I suspect, though I’ll probably journal, there  won’t be much information from there.  I’m skeptical on Internet access.  But who knows?

No comments: