Monday, April 29, 2013

The Journey Continues

The Journey Continues

My Sabbatical journey continues and I am visiting my third (of three) monasteries. I am currently at St. Mary’s Abbey in Morristown, New Jersey.

St. Mary’s is the home of Delbarton High School and the Abbey is tucked away off Route 24 between Morristown and Mendham. I flew into Newark last night and ventured over here today. I took a ‘tour’ however, and saw where Janet used to live and where I used to live. It evoked many memories of my younger days. I stopped at the Chester Diner in Chester, New Jersey and had matzo ball soup and a Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwich on a hard roll. If you are not from New Jersey I cannot even begin to explain it. It was wonderful. I’m not sure if it was wonderful because it tasted good (it did) but because it was a meal of great memory.

The guest house here has only two guest rooms so they don’t have tons of overnight guests. One is not ignored here but greeted warmly and well. The man who runs the guest house and the monks have all been wonderful. Praying with them and dining with them was a rich and excellent experience. It helped, of course, that I attended seminary with one of the monks many years ago so it was like being with an old friend.

My one piece of wisdom for today is this. God is good.

No comments: