Monday, October 08, 2007

WordPerfect and Word. No competition.

Years ago, in the days of DOS 3.1, I bought a program that was the most unbelievable computer program I had ever seen. When it booted up all you would see was a blue screen. When you'd type the type was white. Yet, this program, WordPerfect 5.0 did things no other word processing program was doing. WordPerfect 5.1 came out and I bought it. WordPerfect 6.0 came out and I bought it. DOS programs all. There was a Windows version, 5.2 that came out as well. WordPerfect is now on X3 or 13. I have it and still use it.

WordPerfect, to me, is still the industry standard for word processing. Sadly, through slick market, Microsoft has made their program, Word, the most used word processing program. These days WordPerfect is own by Corel and Microsoft has put its resources in winning the word processing fight. Meanwhile, Corel has put its resources into building a great program.

I am often amazed on how powerful and flexible WordPerfect continues to be. Word promises the world, but WordPerfect gives it. Word will use 3 - 4 steps for simple things that WordPerfect does with one quick step.

There is no competition between the quality of these programs. Sadly, the poorer one is the bigger seller.

No comments: