Monday, March 11, 2013

Random Musings for a Monday

I’m starting week 2 of  being off. On Friday I begin my Sabbatical journey in earnest by heading to Saint Meinrad.  I will be having a five day retreat with some intense spiritual direction, reading, and prayer.  I’m really excited about that.

My time off has been stepping away and decompressing.  It felt odd to not be out the door yesterday leading Worship and preaching.  But a good kind of odd, to say the least!

Lots of things going on in the world.

North Korea has tested a nuke and is working in missiles and making increasingly bellicose sounds.  They, just today, said, again, that the 1953 treaty between the two Koreas was invalid.  They seem to be wanting war.  I find this painful and, frankly counter-intuitive and evil.  The people of North Korea live their lives under really dreadful conditions.  There is not enough food and the regime is brutal.  Instead of trying to make the lives of the people better, they seem hell bent in trying to create a war and make the lives of their own people, as well as other people, a living hell.  Why?  I have no clue.  It is painfully tragic.

The President took twelve Republican Senators to dinner last week and they seemed to have a good time and everyone said nice things about one another. I sense that no one really likes the sequester, and no one has the willingness to bend to end it.  I keep thinking they should all read “Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten,” and learn some of the lessons.  It make help them move forward.

In other news, Valerie Harper was diagnosed with untreatable brain cancer.  She has been the epitome of class in her response to that and has been an inspiration to everyone.  Justin Bieber has been a petulant child.  It is not that any of this is news, per se.  Valerie Harper has always been graceful and class and Justin Bieber has always been a petulant child.

Meanwhile, in Rome, the Cardinals are going to enter the Conclave to choose the next Pope. I love press speculation on what is going to happen; like anyone from the press has a clue as to what is going to happen.  I suspect there has been a lot of discussion amongst the Cardinals already-----but one never knows what is taking place.  I have no clue as to why someone would want that job.  Seriously.  Whoever becomes the Pope inherits a difficult scenario and if that person takes it seriously, it will be an almost impossible job.

No comments: