Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sabbatical Journey, Day 2

Some thoughts in terms of reflection and spiritual direction.

One connection that was made for me yesterday, and is resonating with me is the connection between the word ‘disciple’ and the word ‘discipline.’  I believe myself to be, and I strive to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.  I am also, however, an incredibly undisciplined person.  To be a disciple of Christ requires a certain amount of discipline and that is something I greatly lack.  It is, obviously something I will be working on.

A second thought, something I have always felt, but never really put into words is seeing all people we encounter in a Christocentric way. This is a fancy way of saying that we see Christ in all people; and we treat people the way we would treat Christ.  There are, of course, lots of implications with this.

The third thought comes from reading the Rule of St. Benedict.  Benedict believed in moderation.  In my reading it is likened to the Talmud whereas if a person moves too far into the cold, one will freeze to death. If a person moves to far into the heat, the person will be burned to death.  The wise path is to walk in the center.

In our day and age of extreme polarities, it would seem that the center is the wisest place to be.

No comments: