Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Scooter Libby

Scooter Libby is not going to jail. He ultimately may be pardoned by President George W. Bush.

I actually do find myself pleased at this and my reaction does surprise me.

I recognize that it appears that a great deal of time and effort was wasted in this. A diligent prosecutor made his case, the judge, a law and order judge, presided, and a jury found Mr. Libby guilty. The judge sentenced Libby to the typical prison term for the crime and gave him a lecture about how officials are supposed to act.

I scoff at those who called this a witch hunt. Amazingly many of the people who called this a witch hunt were after Bill Clinton's scalp for lying about, well, a, ahem, experience with Monica Lewinsky. This wasn't a witch hunt. A grand jury found ample cause for prosecution and the case went forward and a fair trial was had.

What does impact me, however, is that I believe it is most obvious that Scooter Libby was the fall guy. He was going to go to prison for the crimes of others. He participated in the crimes, but was only one player.

What is bizarre about this is that George W. Bush has always played the role of Mr. Law and Order. He has less commutations and pardons given than any modern day President. As the governor of Texas he willingly carried out executions on people even when their defense attorneys had spent the trials passed out and sleeping through the trial. He said that he was sure that the trials were fair. When Karla Faye Tucker, a convicted murderer who had become a prison evangelist and who by all accounts had truly turned her life around, asked for clemency he denied it. She did not ask to be freed but asked to be able to continue doing ministry in the prison. Many people almost begged Mr. Bush to spare her. He made fun of her and had her executed.

But Scooter Libby is not going to jail. I'm sure he's happy. Frankly, I can't blame him. Perhaps now he can find some more honest work than working for the Bush Administration. I heard that Joe's Fly By Night Used Car Sales is looking for help....

No comments: